Mar 10, 2012

When a photograph hurts.


It's hard to know where to start with this post. So many emotions tied to this photograph.

It is that of my younger sister. 11 months, 19 days younger. Although for those 19 days once a year, we are the same age.
But we couldn't be any more different.

She's materialistic, I'm not.
She's polished, I'm not.
She has a career, I don't.
She has a closet full of wicked expensive clothes, I don't.
She prefers caviar and champagne, I like wine and damn good cheese.
She is living a whirlwind of a social life. Mine consists of the grocery store and back.

So you get where I'm going with this...

But this picture, this one breaks my heart. This is the little sister I used to know when we were pre & teens. The vulnerable one, the one that followed me everywhere. The one I shared a bedroom and secrets with.
The one, when I look at this picture, I miss so very much.
The one that buried my little sister in favour of status, labels and public persona.
She wouldn't be caught dead looking like that in her every day life. ( she's on vacation and this is the only 'natural' one of her)

I look like this. Every day. Complete with the 'gym hair' you see.



I have two other sisters and a mother who read this blog. Well, hit and miss. They drop in once in a while. Maybe they won't see this post. They will, however, allow to feel what I do as it belongs to me but they will probably disagree. They see her, know her quite differently than I.
But they were not there beside us, in our younger days when we were inseparable. When we went to high school together both with glasses, both with acne. Both bullied. But I had the tougher skin. I fought back, she hid, she cried, I did my best to sooth the hurts.

These days our conversations are done via email, sometimes months pass before I hear from her. And it's usually something she wants me to do for her, or an impersonal forward.
A couple of months ago I sent her an email with the link to a short story I had written and had published. Actually I sent it to her three times, the first two she couldn't access. Finally I sent her the .doc.
She's yet to comment.

I have photographs that are being published soon, I won't be sharing them with her.

While I was never after accolades, I was seeking acknowledgment.
I'm not setting myself up for that type of hurt again. My thick skin was back in my earlier days. It's thinned out somewhat over the years.
Yeah...been there, done that, finished with the T-Shirt.

Yet I look at this picture of her and I tear up every time. I want to crawl inside that photograph, sit down with her in the sand and laugh like we used to. Be carefree without her having to be 'on' or tell me what labels she's wearing. I want the kind of full body hugs close sisters give each other. Not the french 'air' kisses I get when I see her. ( once a year, I live across the country )

This picture hurts.
Deep.

But I will print it out and put it where I can see it every day. It is someone I used to know a long time ago and she's right there, in that picture.

With all my heart, I miss my baby sister.
And she'll never know.















11 comments:

  1. Whoa! That's powerful, Jamie. It's sad when family grows apart. It does hurt. My brother and I have communicated three times in the last eleven years. I wish you well. I hope you get to crawl inside that photograph and laugh like you used to, at least one more time. And I do understand how much you miss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocky, It's a complex story line. lol you can relate to that sentence. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh honey...what a beautiful, sad post. I KNOW this hurt...and wish I could wrap my arms around your aching heart. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I knew when I saw the picture and my reaction to it I needed to deal. My heart will be ok but it took an awful punch with this.

      Delete
  3. I hear ya. I phoned my mom the other day to tell her that we were going home for a wedding and staying for a bit longer (so we can visit people...like our family?). Instead of an expected response of "oh, I'm excited to see you. When can we get together?" I got "And?.....".
    It's so hard and painful when you're just not that close to someone you want to be so close with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh Andrea, I'm sorry. As mothers we always let our kids down at some point or another..

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately, I think many more families than not, have the same story. My heart is breaking for you.
    My three girls are so different in personality that they are not as close as I'd hoped but they do talk to each other frequently. As a parent, I would be heartbroken if any one of the felt as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn, They talk to each other. When all is said and done, that is what matters.

      Delete
  5. You are a brave person to publish this! It almost seems like you are reaching to communicate with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Sarah, I'm not actually.
      Strangely enough, I don't want her to read it. I know it sounds weird given the medium but If she does, she does. Nothing will change. She is who she is. She never reads my blog, nor my Facebook stuff. And I've got most of my family blocked via FB for this one.

      The post is my way of dealing. :-)

      Delete
  6. Ahhhh Jamie, I'd bet my bottom dollar she misses those days of long ago too. She probably has buried the hurt down deep and ignores it, but it's there. Wouldn't it be nice if...........
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.