Dec 9, 2010

December's Musings of This, That and Other Things




I didn't make it back to school like I wanted to. I've been missing the process of learning and education. So I took it upon myself to self teach through Youtube . Sometimes it's a great place to learn, don't you agree? 

I an getting ready to do some Christmas baking. Someone throw me a lifeline, I haven't worked out in 3 or 4 months. I'm making authentic shortbread cookies. Help me. 

Ok, in my defence I haven't worked out because a) my summer was taken over by family members and their needs/ demands.  b) Having a do-to list that was a month long and kept multiplying on a weekly basis. c) an operation I had and was warned not to work out for a month afterwards and d) fighting this cold in my lungs for a month now waiting for it to take a powder. 
So I'm waiting patiently  or more like impatiently. I go downstairs and look at my gym and sigh. I miss it. Lots.

Interesting fact- I used to figure skate, I was able to do wicked spins at neck breaking speeds without the world tilting. Now, I can't even sit on a chair and spin once without falling off or feeling like I'm going to upchuck. Apparently once a woman gives birth, the ability to have a center of gravity is gone. Poof. Huh.. never knew that. Not that I had plans to return to figure skating but I found that little tidbit interesting. 

Had to laugh. I was driving with hubby on a very busy road when he dropped his cell. Landed between his feet, so being the kind helpful person I am, I unbuckled and reached over. Only I had to stretch and his umm crotch was in my way. So turned my face sideways and pressed down as I reached for the cell. He got all in a tither because, well, it looked bad. And bigger trucks were passing. And I'm sure conclusions were drawn. And probably a few fist pumps thrown his way. 
Geeze, what's with all the kerfuffle? It's just a damn cell phone, peoples. ;-)

Standing next in line at the corner store, waiting for a boy to pay for his purchases. Came up to more than what he had. He takes the chocolate bar to put back, I grab it from him. I'll just ring it up with my order, can't stand to see the look on his face. He lit up like a Christmas tree, embarrassed, happy, shy. I asked him if he had ever heard of the saying, " Pay it forward". Nope, he's just a young 10 or 11 year old after all. I explain it to him and I ask him to do this one thing for me, to go find a kid at his school who's bullied or alone and hang out with him for recess or lunch. Made him promise me. I hope he carries through and...pays it forward. 

Made two batches of Christmas cookies for Christmas time. Didn't even make it to the container I was going to freeze them in, hubby attacked both batches like a man starved for three days. Snuck what was left in his lunches for work. Who else has to bake in 'hiding'? He sniffs them out, I swear.

What are your musings today?

4 comments:

  1. A figure skater? I love it. I admire those that can glide on ice so gracefully.

    Thanks for paying it forward with a chocolate bar. I love the "light up like a Christmas tree" face when you do kind things for others.

    My musing are nothing out of the norm.

    Work is killing me. The mundane paper pushing job is wearing my talents thin. What if I forget how to be great because I sit at a desk all day? Scary.

    I made a yummy lentil and rice soup tonight. The big guy liked it, so that makes it a success in my book.

    I'm now sitting up, with heavy eyes waiting for the laundry to finish so I can put it in the dryer. While me and the man were sitting around tonight I noticed he had 2 different socks on. "Do you not have any clean matching socks?" "No." And so here I sit, waiting for socks to get clean so my husband doesn't have to suffer another day with none matching socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking lasts a nano-second in my house so I make cookies on an as-needed basis - as in, hubby needs a fix NOW. I don't bother hiding them, he can sniff them out faster than the dogs. I've never met a man who could eat an entire bag of cookies without blinking - or gaining an ounce. Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to be a figure skater, but gymnastics won out.
    I am hoping that I can bake some this weekend!
    I LOVE the cell phone move! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm prone to fall at times would never get on skates. best in your cookie adventure. i love homemade cookies but hat to take the time to make them it was a nice thing you did with the young person at the store. good sugge you gave him. have a good evening. rose

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.