Feb 2, 2012

When does this start being fun??

As everything else does at one time or another my treadmill crapped out on me. 700$ to fix it, says the repair man happily.
Yeah.. not so happy when I showed him to the door.

I paid 1200$ for it 5 years ago. I've gotten much mileage out of it but it shouldn't have given up the ghost without a fighting chance. It decided to act like it had been taken over by a malicious poltergeist with a penance for punishment. ( Say that five times fast  ha ha )
The belt now goes faster than the six million dollar man can handle. The whine and pitch coming off of it is akin to nails on a chalkboard. Gee, thanks for the good times, treadmill, but no thanks for taking my options away from me.

However, not all is a loss, I have a gym membership. Free access to all kinds of torturous devices, many of which I steer clear of by reason of hell! even I know my limits and that weird contraption is so off limits. So I use free weights, the treadmill, the elliptical, the bosu ball and other accessories there.  I also partake in the knock me down, shoot me now classes of a particularly favorite trainer of mine. Why I like her, I've NO idea. The happier she is coming into class the more it's going to hurt I've come to discover. I always say,' Jillian who??' after I've survived finished her class.

Oh but I'm sorry, I seem to have gotten away from the point of this post.
( Which by the way happens to be my 301st post. Just saying)

I always do 20 minutes of cardio, be it on the treadmill or elliptical. I wanted to try something different today, based on a commercial I saw about the hybrid treadmill stair climber. Below is the iPhone pics of my results of the three methods I've used.

Treadmill- 20 minutes. Incline 2% . Walk 2@ 3.5, Jog 2@4.0 .Last six minutes Jog


Elliptical 20 minutes. Incline 3. Average speed: 6.8 

Treadmill 20 minutes. Incline 15% @ 3.5 (despite what it says, I did two minutes of 3.1)


Look at the incline of 15%. Calories burned- 244. Over double of the other two. Let me tell you how much more of a sweat I got doing it this way. I read that it builds much more lean muscle mass to boot. Repeat after me : Um Hell Ya!
This way is my new favorite. I hate every moment of it but my body's saying otherwise.

Sigh. My body wins.
It best show some appreciation soon, stupid defiant 49 year old carcass.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoy the exercising so much; I'm hoping your love for it will totally balance out my hatred of it, and the universe will be right.

    Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sorry for my poor body. I do not exercise it. I would rather starve off the pounds than work them off. The only exercise this body gets is what happens as a side-effect of daily living and doing what I want to. Now the bad news is, I am not as strong as I want to be for important stuff, like reeling in really big fish... stuff like that. hmmm......
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.