Sep 24, 2009

My 'Oh Shit' handle

You know that handle that's in your car or truck?
The one  you hang on to when your partner is rounding a corner to fast?
In my family we call it the 'oh shit' handle. ( ok so it's used mostly when I'm driving haha )
Cause you know, what do you say when you think this is it: "we're going to crash",
"we're not going to make it around the corner!", "we're going to race the train?!?"
'Oh SHIT!'
And so we brace ourselves.

I was thinking of that today, that 'oh shit' handle. My hubby's home for the next couple of
days and as always, he unwinds. Well, let's define 'unwind'. In his world, it's taking his wife (me)
and running her ragged. Here, there, every frikken where lol . I sleep well at night.
But there's a trade off to having him home.
He likes to bitch and complain about things.
The neighbourhood
The drivers in our city
Those bloody barking dogs of ours.
To name a few.

It drives me nuts because as much as I can tune out my daughters
( no disrespect intended but hey, I raised TWO teenage daughters, you LEARN to tune out)
I can't tune that man out when I want or need to.

He demands my attention.
So today, as I was listening to him , thinking how good my whiskey and diet coke
was going to be , I looked at his 'oh shit' handle and thought of what was my anchor
in days like this.

Damned if it wasn't HIM.
I laughed out loud and couldn't share with him when he asked.

He's my 'oh shit' handle. He is what I turn to when I need to line up all
my worries and chase them away.
He's what I need when I am at the end of my rope with my daughter's mood.
( God love her, I know I do. )
And he's what I trust when I need straight up answers. When I can't trust the rest of
the world with the weight of it.

Well I'll be damned.
He makes me look for that 'oh shit' handle and darned
if he isn't it. LOL to funny.

Think about it for a moment or a day and tell me: what is YOUR 'oh shit' handle in this world?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that! I'm thinking you'll meet my Oh Shit handle in three weeks. Well, both of mine.....my hubby AND the one in whichever vehicle we're in and you are saying OH SHIT!

    (guess I cant put my name....lets just say Mare was here! :O) )

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.