Jun 15, 2010

A funny thing happens when..




I remember Martial Arts Academy. A year of street level kickboxing. With a martial arts instructor that lived/breathed/ate his craft. At times I couldn't even climb out of the jeep after 2 1/2 hrs with him, I was that sore. But I didn't quit, I wanted to. What the hell had I gotten myself into? I was the oldest student there. ( I was 40 at the time, general age was in the 20s.) But at the end of my year I walked away with a sense of pride and a major big can of whoop ass under my belt. (it's power tripping to be able to throw a solid punch and a bone snapping kick.) I also walked away with my Sihing's  respect. Even if he was considered anal (read crazy) in some circles, I had his respect. Highly sought after but rarely achieved for those of us who survived were part of his academy.High fives to me, ya!

My Interior Design certificate. Two years of night school, working almost full time, raising two teenager girls. (shudder)  Hubby was gone for long periods of time on the pipeline. I had ,at times,  25 to 30 hours a week of homework for school. How did I manage?? I couldn't tell you to this day.
And now I'm looking for more. I want to go back to school, I just don't know what for.
Sign Language?
Photography?
The rush of being able to do it when I thought I couldn't is addictive. Why O WHY couldn't I have applied myself to this when I was in high school? But we all know what high school was/is for most girls, a place to see or be seen, a bitchfest, a social gathering.
Ahhhh if I could go back....I'd pass up the opportunity. Thanks but no thanks. I'm liking the here and now more. No more acne and glasses are a fashion statement these days.

I'm not about blowing my own horn but I've had way to much time to think lately. I need to be able to remember my achievements. A funny thing happens when your last child moves out of the house and you stop working for a bit. You lose yourself, your identity and in a real way your self esteem.
So pardon my need to splay out what I've done. I'm just trying to boost myself up while I ignore the dishes and laundry. ( didn't those stupid things get magically done when I worked? No wait, I remember, I used to do them in an exhausted sleepwalking induced coma.) 

Time for my second cup of coffee and I think I'll glance through the employment section for a bit, just to see what I probably won't could do.. if I take the notion. 

On second thought I'm going to Starbucks, no dishes and house 'stuffs' taunting me there. Just noise, coffee and people. 
Hello world, I'm coming out to play.

What about you? What are you 'pat on the back' moments?
No bashfulness here, mmkay? Splay it out!


5 comments:

  1. Sounds to me as tho jamie has some time and could come to MA and work and play with me for a bit! Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie's been bitten by "the bug". Sign Language could be really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, how's that 'bring jamie to Ma.' fund going? Get on it will ya?

    Michie, I think I'm leaning toward Photography.. Signing next year maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like an adventurer (adventuress?) ... whatever, you sound adventuresome! I love that you're looking for new ways to gain that sense of accomplishment. I've often thought of taking a martial arts course -- I can only imagine how empowering it would feel to be able to kick ass like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's probably one of the hardest things I've done physically.
    I love a good adventure, I'll admit and yeah, it is empowering, Ro.
    Stop thinking, DO! k?

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.