Sep 21, 2010

Word of the day: Imago


Imago- the idealized concept of a loved one, formed in childhood and retained unaltered in adult life. 
I subscribe to the 'Word of the Day', I love the written word and I love learning new ones. This one stopped me in my tracks. It's been a long time I've felt the power of a single word.

If I was asked to name someone it would be my father. Although he would snort if he was here beside me reading this. He's asked many a time in the past to 'humanize' him, I didn't understand what he meant till I had kids of my own. 
Now I get him. A pedestal's an uncomfortable and precarious place to be and I always made sure my kids never put me on one as the child in me had done to my dad. The pressure must of been awful for him and when he 'fell' he was powerless to do anything to try to ease the disappointment. My fault, I put him up there and it wasn't fair to him.

My father is turning 80 soon. 
Time has ravaged his physical being. He's not as tall as he used to be, not as solid. Never have I more keenly felt the human side of my dad as I do his mortality. It scares me, him turning this age. He looks forward to it. I do envy him, this comfort with his age. 
He's still as sharp as a tac, however,  and one of the most intelligent men I'll ever know. But he's getting frail and the little girl in me wants to stop this stupidity of aging, how can time be short for him? He is supposed to live forever, isn't he?
Of course he is, after all he is my Imago.Shhhh don't tell him I said so, in his mind he gladly burned that pedestal the last time he 'fell' off it.
Little does he know though that in my secret place, I rebuilt it. For a man like him, his faults only serve to strengthen my
Imago more, I've never seeked for perfection in a human but there's also never been another man like my Dad.

Imago.
Who's yours?

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Jamie.
    My Nono is my Imago. Despite my Nona's insistence that he was a far from perfect husband, he was, to me, a perfect grandfather. I know he had flaws - he was a strong, Italian, stubborn man - but in my youth I ignored them, and as an adult, I'd give anything to have him back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful word, never heard it before! And I love the tribute to you dad, who isn't interested in the pedestal. Very sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn,
    I knew Nono would be yours <3 . I hope it brought good memories to help balance the sadness you carry. xxoo

    Sherri,
    I fell in love with the word lol . Glad you agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely post! I, too, have a father who is aging fast. I pray so hard for the aging to stop...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speechless... That was such a beautiful honor, description and celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super post! My father will be 91 this year - a grand old age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwwwww JAMES...siggghhhhhhhhhhh ~ You nailed it BANG ON xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missy,
    We all have aging parents :-( It's hard

    Wcbw,
    Thank you. You described the post to a 'T'.

    Cassandra,
    I hope your father's as settled and happy as mine.

    Jen. A.K.A. My sister,
    Welcome to posting on my blog. About time, creeper. :-P xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. i,too have never was aware of this word. I think that as my parents got older they seemed more human as their bodies became frail as well as their minds. our parents are to be always tough. great words about your Dad. rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just read it Jamie, it is really touching... Dad just read it too and was touch! What a beautiful way of saying things! Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.