Oct 2, 2010

Musings of This, That and Other Things


Looks like I'm boarding yet another airplane in a couple of weeks. It'll be my third time this year. This one, however, is a pleasure trip. I'm going back to my folks to celebrate my dad's 80th birthday. Ugh... hits in the solar plexus. 80.. wtf happens to time? Does it just poof five/ten years later before someone warns me? Sigh.
But I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. Most of the extended family members were invited. I hope they come out to honor the head of our clan. 

I'm going to venture a guess and say the boys next door got lucky last weekend. What was my first clue? The couple of girls running up and down the street sans tops. 2:30 in the morning. Hootin' and hollerin'. What's the funniest is the ability of those girls to make little fools of those boys next door. Somehow it was easier seeing the girls run topless than it was painfully watching one of those boys running behind them in nothing but his skivvies. We definitely hold all the cards . after all who else could talk a male down to his tighty whities, middle of the night, in public... We are all powerful.

Congrats to James Jones for standing up for his disabled daughter. Calling out the bullies on the bus. Got arrested for it. I'm in his corner, my two girls were bullied in school and nothing was done about it. It shaped who they are today. They've been called bitches.. I take a bow on that one, they got it from me. Today they don't take shit from anyone but I can still see the scars on the inside.. Nothing has changed, the schools of today still can't get a handle on what is now a commonality. Sad. :-(

Merengue, not so much. The instructor nicknamed it ' Your best Pee Pee Dance'.  Cha-Cha I can work with, no problem. Salsa? A definite good to go. Of all three, I think it's the easiest. For me. I can pop that hip, swivel them in quarter turns. Heck, eventually I'll get the hand movements too. But for the love of all Latin dances, I can NOT booty shake. I have the equipment for it, I just can't get it working like it should. Dumb ass. ( pun intended.)  I'm taking a Salsa Burn class once a week till the start of December. A latin fitness workout that can burn up to 700 calories?  75 minutes of cardio, squats and poppin' various body parts? I'm so there. But booty shake? Jus ain't gonna happen,honey. 

I never got into Glee, much to my disappointment. I have no excuse other than I couldn't tape it at the time. That's how I watch most of my shows, taped. But I did happen on 'The Big Bang Theory' this summer, reruns granted, but I got hooked on it. I'm very much a C.S.Is type of gal along with Biggest Loser but it's different show to add to my repertoire, . Look at me expanding my horizons. ;-) 

Figure skating used to give me such a rush. 6 am in the arena, freezing cold till I started flying across the that frozen water. The sound of steel slicing through ice, my muscles engaged from head to toe. The feel of flying through the air and executing a perfect jump. It was awesome. Doing a routine in front of 400 people? On one hand a rush, on another, terrifying.  So what gives me a rush nowadays? Photography. Flat out. Soothes my frayed nerves, brings me to a world where people cease to exist and the weight of the world disappears for a while. I love when I can capture what I see/perceive. While I can't work magic with a pair of skates anymore, I can sure try with my camera. 


Speaking of, I introduced my youngest to the world of photography, hooked her first go round thank you very much. It gives me such a kick to see her work that camera. I hope I've created a shutterbug monster and she surpasses me. She says she stops hearing what's around her when she focuses on a shot. It's captivating to see her engrossed in the craft, leaning  just this way to get that special shot or crouching way down trying to frame the moment.  Yes, you can colour me happy. :-) 


What are your musings today?

4 comments:

  1. Hello Friend....
    I so enjoyed your musings. I was bullied as well, and have even been bullied as an adult, the scars do run long and deep.

    I also never got into Glee, and now am renting the first season...three episodes in and I am still not sure I can. But I am committed to try...feels like being left out of a club.

    Anyway, thanks for sharing your musings with me:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time does go fast! My father had his 90th last year and I flew over to celebrate with him. Next month he turns 91 - wow!
    I too was bullied as a kid - taught me to grow thick skin, on the outside anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every day I think about my "adult bully" and the effect she has on my life. Despite a strong network of family and friends, I'm annoyed with myself at the power I allow her. Sigh. Bullying sucks.

    Indeed, you DO work magic with your camera, though I wish I'd known you when you worked magic on the ice as well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruby,I'm happy you enjoy my random musings. I get your scars, I have some of my own. Good luck with Glee!

    Cassandra, 'tough skin on the outside', well said. Very true.

    Dawn, bullying is done by very small people. Yours is smaller than most given the age she's at. Karma, my lovely friend, is a bitch. Remember that :-)

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.