Nov 25, 2010

And the secret ingredient is..

Google image


Most people collect things, be it salt and pepper shakers, saws, antiques, spoons, perhaps overdue bills or even bad friends.  Some collect to the point of being on a TV show ,grant you this is the far end of the spectrum. But you get what I'm trying to say.

I collect recipes. But just not any recipe, those that are 3 generations and older. Some times easy to get, other times not so much.

I was recently gifted an old Scottish shortbread recipe from my Aunt. I am of Scottish decent so you can imagine I was quite happy to have it in my possession. Truth be told, there's an art to making shortbread. Much like pie shells and I suck at those. I might never make the cookies but I have the recipe and that's what matters.

In getting this recipe I was reminded of a time last year when I tried to get one from a staff member. It was a generations old dessert recipe from Iceland. A fussy one at that,but it was a challenge I was willing to take on.
Problem was, she wouldn't part with it. Her voice dropped down to a near whisper as she toyed with her pen, stupefied at the request. She looked over her shoulder, she fidgeted, she stalled.
WTF? Were we being watched/tailed/recorded here? I swear she acted like I had just commited a breach of national security.
I asked for a recipe I could of googled if so inclined. I figured straight from the horse's mouth type of thing..
Never did get it but I can still see her facial expression, it was almost comical. The looked of a deer caught in the headlights. No way, no how, driving along the road to never would she part with it. Ok whatever then, keep it Secret Recipe Rita. < not her real name ;-) >

What about you my bloggy friends? Do you share your family foodie favorites? Can someone shed light on why one wouldn't want to? Is it not a compliment to be asked for a recipe that showcases your roots/heritage? If you do share it, do you purposely leave out a key ingredient? I've heard of that before. Are you a collector of things maybe different or oddball? What lengths will you go to get that elusive piece?

By the way, I was given a 5 generations old recipe from 'Na-awlins'. I got a right kick out of scoring that one. It's the oldest I have and again will probably never make it, (You may be sure I will tweak it if I do. Those Cajuns use mega amounts of oil to cook with. ) but I have it and that's what matters.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting collection! I do know many people who will NOT give out recipes...and I have heard that it is the southern thing to do or to not do. And I am southern, but I do give out recipes that people ask for. And I don't leave out ingredients, but I also, sometimes, don't tell what I do differently from the recipe to make it 'mine.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have strong Scottish heritage on my mother's dad's side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe someone won't give out a recipe! I love finding new things to cook and sharing my successes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a dish of meatballs to a pot luck dinner once. The hostess raved about them and I told her how simple they were and gave her the recipe. She looked at it and proceeded to rant and rave (in front of everyone) that if I didn't want to give her the REAL recipe I should have said so instead of making one up! I was horrified and furious. Once I was able to get a word in, I told her to make them and if they didn't taste the same - I would apologize. She did make them and told me how simple they were - but never did apologize. Old witch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An early Christmas present from Venom to Jamie:

    This recipe is timeless, a mennonite staple passed to me from my MIL and to her down from the ages.

    Omma's Kuchen (Grandmother's Cookies, also called White Cookies)
    2 c sugar
    1 c butter or margarine
    Cream butter & sugar til smooth.
    Add
    2 beaten eggs
    1 c milk
    1 t baking soda
    5 t baking powder
    1/4 t salt
    1 t flavoring (your choice: vanilla, almond, or lemon)
    Add flour to make a fairly stiff dough. Roll out to 1/2 thickness and cut rounds with a drinking glass.

    *Handle the dough as little as possible, reroll as little as possible, so that cookies are most tender and flaky. My MIL baked the odd pieces rather than reroll it for this reason. Strangely, the odd pieces were always the first to go, maybe because they have no calories?*

    Bake @ 375 degrees 8 minutes or so. This is where the old recipe is vague, I suggest watching the first batch pretty closely, the tops will stay white so are no indicator, but if you lift the edge of a cookie the bottom will be a golden brown.

    Traditionally, a simple icing of icing sugar and water mixed to a thick syrup would be used to dip the tops of the cookies, and they are then decorated with whatever you have on hand, pariels or sprinkles or what have you.

    Done right, Omma's Kuchen will fly out of the jar, so make big batches. These freeze exceptionally well.
    ___________________________________

    Homemade Eagle Brand Milk
    *Having a box of powdered milk tucked back in your cupboard means you can whip up some Eagle milk on a whim. You'll see why this could be important soon.*

    1 c boiling water.
    Disolve 2 c sugar and 1/4 c margarine in the boiling water.
    Stir while adding 1 c powdered milk til smoothe.
    Keeps refridgerated for up to a month.
    1 3/4c homemade = 1 $5 can of premade.
    _____________________________________________

    Venom's Special Coffee Creamer
    *sort of like Baileys Irish Creme*
    **Have some empty screw-top liquor bottles handy.*

    2 cans premade Eagle milk OR 3 1/2 c Homemade Eagle Milk *see above*
    3c dark rum (NOT spiced!)
    2 c cereal cream
    6 eggs
    4 T chocolate syrup
    1 t coconut extract *optional*

    Blend all ingredients together until smoothe. Makes 3 bottles, plus enough for a couple of GOOD cups of coffee. Keeps refridgerated up to 10 days. Shake well before serving.
    __________________________________________________

    I dare the next commenter to top this. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Empty Nester- I tweak recipes as well so I get what you are saying.

    Cassandra- As do I, share the successes and if you are like me, laugh at the failures. lol

    Kim- You are a bigger person than I , I would of turned on my heel and left. I would erase the 'w' in the name you called her and replaced it with a 'b' ;-)

    Venom-roflmao @ your last line. You and I would be fast friends in RL I've a feeling.. And thank you VERY much for your family recipes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother has an amazing collection of old recipes. My recipe collection consists of those with 5 ingredients or less! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I am not at home right now, but when I am [and if I remember] I will get you a recipe.

    When I got married in August I received many family recipes...some are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MIssy- ROFLMAO@ 5 or less. Nice one!

    Tay-Congrats @ the wedding :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, am of Scottish decent, and LOVE shortbread. No, to answer your question, unless one owns a restaurant, I can't think of a reason to horde recipes. Any that I have, I gladly share to those who want. Though of Scot decent, I can't say I really want one of haggis. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rocky, GASP! Ye nae like haggis?? Ye nae be leal-hertit to yer country,Scotsman.

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.