Mar 20, 2011

Frank


Going through my pictures,I came across the one of Frank the other day.
Frank is/was the head of security at an upscale hotel in Maui. It's been a few years since I've been, I'm not sure if he's still there but he's somewhere in Maui. 

Frank is someone who you meet and never forget in a lifetime. His voice carries the softness of the Maui winds, the melodic sounds of island life. He tells a story that captures your attention, feeds your imagination. 
Frank also carries with him memories of his brother. The brother he lost in the 9/11 tragedy. He tells stories full of pride, of their brotherhood by blood and that of the job , the sadness of that day. 

He came to Maui to bury his brother's ashes at the request of his sister-in-law. This was a happy place for the couple and she wanted this paradise to be his final resting place,he deserved no less. Frank came along to help his family but he was to head back to his job afterwards. Frank never left, he chose to start a new life, staying close to his brother and finding peace in the process.   

Should you come across Frank, you'll know who he is. He looks at you with a twinkle in his eye, he's got a gentleman's charm down to a perfected science yet there's a calmness, an awareness of what matters in this life, about him. It draws you, holds you captive, making you a little bit envious. (Should I ever be that lucky to have paradise at my fingertips every day. )
But Frank has seen slices of life we're fortunate enough never to bear witness. Life as a cop on the street in Boston's underbelly, his losses, has made him who he is today. And well, let's call it: living in Maui isn't a hardship.


If you find yourself at the resort in Maui go find Frank, sit a spell with him and listen to his story. And like me, you'll walk away with the distinct impression you've crossed paths with one of the most extraordinary people you'll ever meet. 
I hope one day I'll be lucky enough to catch up with him again.
Mahalo Frank,wherever you are and keep sharing your stories. For those of us who are wise enough know we walk away richer for them. 

6 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll go to Maui now and track down Frank. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, Teri. He'd love that. And he'd appreciate the looks of you.. Let me know if you ever do come across him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where was a Frank when I still wanted a man? At 68, I don't want either sex....but he sure sounds like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I am happily married, Kathie. Frank's just an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frank sounds like a person we should all meet and take notes...regardless of what he has faced his life goes on the way HE wants it to go on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that, Jeff, is what makes Frank .. Frank.

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.