Jan 17, 2010

Only me can say that.







Only me as my hubby would say.He would of rolled his eyes at me today if he had been there.

I was heading towards the checkout line @ the big box store. Had a looky see and it time to leave.( Get me OUT of here, the masses were awakening and flocking in droves. )
Me and Wheelchair Man met going down the shoe isle. ( didn't hurt to have one last glance at shoes. )
"Race ya," I looked at him with a grin.

OMG, lol I can only imagine hubby's look on his face but then again, he was very much accustomed to what came out of my mouth after 29 years. Accustomed I said, not exactly liking or laughing at it all the time but hey he had married me for better or worse.  Muahahaha
But I digress.

Wheelchair Man laughed and continued rolling along side of me. Apparently we were heading the same direction and he had a story to tell. I wanted to hear it so I slowed down my gait, not that I had to as he was keeping up just fine. ( Hey remember I was hell bent for election for the checkout line, I wanted O U T . He worked there and wasn't in a particular rush.)
" I used to race for sport" he shared conversationally with me, " I took a fit the other day and sprinted for the heck of it."
"Arms must of felt that one" I replied with understanding. I'd just gone a round with weight loss yoga the day before, I was hurting in strange places.
Turned out Wheelchair Man competed in the Paralympic games some twenty years ago. Not only that but had come home with a silver AND bronze medal.
How FRIGGEN cool was that ?!
I asked him if he had his medals professionally mounted in a frame. Turns out he didn't but it had been suggested to him several times. Wasn't really sure why he had never had it done. Time got away on him he said.
I was known to be quite persuasive when I wanted to be, it would appear I had convinced him to get it done this time.
We talked about his love of the sport and when I asked him if he would coach he replied that he had thought about it but was too busy working at the big box store.
" We both know that's just a rickety excuse now don't we" I teased him.
His head snapped up and he looked at me, hesitated for a split second, and laughed, " Yeah, we both do."
He wheeled right and I turned left into the 12 items or less line up. ( that damn number is just a suggestion, folks. )
"Hey?" Wheelchair Man hollered at me.
I stopped and turned around, two people with the devil after their tails nearly plowing into me. Sheesh!
"Thanks" he nodded his head several times.
" Right back at ya" I shot back.
In that short walk we quietly understood we had both gained something to use be it that day, the following or later down the road.


I LOVE random ( yet nothing in life is ) events like this that race up to grab and include me.
Thanks Wheelchair Man. :-)

1 comment:

  1. love your adventure with wheelchair man!

    "the chick who can never sign into her account from MA!"

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.