Jul 12, 2010

She made her entrance 20 yrs ago

My daughter turns 20 today. I'm happy for her on one hand yet I look for my baby on the other. I wrote this poem this morning.
How does a child turn 20 before you know it? And why didn't anyone warn me this day would come?
Sheesh.



She made her entrance
twenty years ago.
I thought time was mine
how wrong I was to think it so.

Gone the day of story and rhyme
But dreams come on restless nights
And in them I tuck her in, that baby of mine.

She is beautiful this woman I see today
walking her path, a mother of her own
But I miss that child I had of yesterday.

Today we celebrate 20 years gone by
a glass of wine to toast the passage of time
If I get quiet and let slip a sigh
it's my heart letting go of the baby I had
twenty years ago to this very day.

5 comments:

  1. Awww. Great poem, Jamie. And Happy B-day to your baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, hon. It's a weird day with her turning 20. I just wish she was more excited about it. :-( But will pass along the message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 12, 2010

    The baby birds always eventually fly from their nest. My oldest is 27 yo and youngest is 25 yo. That is why I always say that life is divided into stages and you should live your life to it's fullness within those stages. One stage I called children..it starts at birth and ends at 18.

    Happy birthday to your daughter and congrats to raising a daughter you can be proud of !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jeff. I am proud of both my daughters, given what they went through together and individually.

    There is a saying however that goes like this: A son is a son till he takes a wife, a daughter is a daughter for life.
    This is never more evident as it is with mother/daughter relationships.
    They look for parts of you in their mates but they are forever tied to their mothers, be it good or bad.
    In my case they would tell you it's a mixture of both. ;-)

    My stage didn't end at 18, it will end when it's my time to go. And I'm ok with that.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your daughter! Lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.