Jan 8, 2011

Cue in X-Files music...

In my last post I mentioned that hubby and I had 'company' in our B&B room. Here's the story of what happened. Enjoy, Charlene :-)

Googled image.
Picture this:
Middle of the night, snuggled under a very luxurious duvet. (albeit heavy) in a quaint B&B tucked in a nook of the Rocky Mountains. The bed was king sized, the room decorated with antique pieces, adding to the rustic feel of it. But that's not what's going through my husband's mind at two am. He was awake and focused on the depression some.. thing was making on our bed. Curtains were not drawn tight, the street lamp chasing out the dark in the corners of our room. A person such as himself could see very well ( as opposed to me who's blind as a bat without glasses ) and there he was, watching movement at the foot of the bed, but there was nothing to be able to see. No one was there but us.
In the physical that is.
He watched as some unseen thing 'sat' on the edge of the bed, then as it walked across the length of it, the general shape of ( small female?) footprints following each other. No explanation readily available, no concrete definite as to what had just happened.

Picture this:
Same room, same bed. Four poster bed to be precise. On one post, my hubby had hung his hoody, his coat then his hat. Enough weight to have to physically move the coats around. You would think, right?
Wrong.
We noticed the coats 'turning'. The direction the front of the black coat had been facing our pillows at the head of the bed before we went to bed. The next morning, even before setting foot on the floor, we noticed the coats had turned half way around and were now facing the other side of the room. Neither one of us had gotten up through the night to have brushed by to possibly move it.
Add to that in the half hour it took us to eat breakfast in our room, facing the bed and posts, the coats had turned a quarter of a turn again.

Best I could do was try to record it with a couple of pictures.
You are more than welcome to think I've been smoking funny things or spiking my coffee, but a) I don't smoke. Cigarettes or other grassy mood enhancing substances and b) I don't drink alcoholic beverages before 3 in the afternoon.

Here's your visual. Use the small yellow square on the door behind the coat as a point of reference.




Sorry for the quality of the pictures but it was the best I could do with what I had. It's quite clear the position of the coats are different without us having been anywhere near them. We hadn't quite finished breakfast at that point and they had turned even more.

All in all, it was interesting on two fronts. One, just because. Two, to have it happen to my non believer of a husband made it all that much more fun.

To be honest, and again, feel free to think my day pass should be revoked, things like this aren't new in our lives. There have been many instances where one just couldn't explain away the strange events.

The latest 'situation' happened to my very analytically minded daughter. It left her quite shaken, struggling with her scientific beliefs. Let's just say we believe she got a 'visit' from a family member who died years back.

A few years ago my youngest daughter alone in her friend's basement, paralyzed by some'thing' holding her down and breathing on her neck. Unable to move a single muscle for the duration,oddly not afraid in the moment. However, I don't think she'd welcome a repeat.
We also have something in common, her and I . We see shadows of human forms on a regular basis, out of our peripheral vision, when there's no one there.

To me, these are a part of my norm, I can't even begin to count the number of times things that have happend.
One recurring thing is ever since my father-in-law died, there isn't one single time I can go for a walk and not have one of the street lamps go out when I'm directly underneath it only to light up again as I reach the second or third one away from it. Any street, anywhere, any town. I always say hello to him when it happens, I figure it's his way of pranking me. ( who would of thunk the old man had a sense of humor?! )

The one event that stands out most for me was the night my husband (then boyfriend) was nearly killed in a car accident. I was in my early 20's at the time.
He always had this habit of coming into the bedroom, putting one knee on the bed and kissing my cheek when I was nearly asleep. His way of saying goodnight.
On this particular night, unbeknownst to me, my hubby was in the front passenger seat of a small car, window down, when it clipped a parked car. Two miles from where I slept. To ask him today, he'll tell you they were driving far beyond the posted speed limit, and tell you the exact time the accident happened. It's one of the last things he remembers.
And the first thing I do. The time. One o'clock in the morning. That's when I felt the bed depress with my husband's knee and I got a kiss on my cheek. Like always. I jackknifed up looking for him, surprised I hadn't heard anyone come in the house.
Only there was no one there. I remember laying back down, my heart trying to beat itself out of my chest. Eventually I fell back asleep.
Only to be woken up by my husband's brother and mother at my door the next morning.
There had been a serious accident, they were telling me, he was in a hospital bed unable to move. ( the paralysis was temporary, thank God,but he was in traction for a while ) I was shown the car before my husband. BIG mistake. Dumbass brother of his wanted to see it. I was convinced they were lying to me about him still being alive.

I do believe my husband died that night and came to say goodbye to me. 30 years later as he sleeps beside me, snoring loud enough to wake the -ha ha- dead, I thank the powers that be decided it wan't his time. ( although if he doesn't quit snoring ,his jig just might be up tonight. geezusss )
In all seriousness it connects us on a unique level, this one event. Gives new meaning to the term 'soulmate', ya?
I readily accept things like this, while my kids and hubby struggle to explain their own dealings with strange happenings.

I know what I know and what I know is this;
We are not alone.

( yeah ok that was a cheesy take on X-Files but great last line, ya? Muahahaha )



*** now sits back and watches her number of followers decline ever so slowly***

7 comments:

  1. Whoa! Having observed strange happenings ... whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I thought I had a ghost...
    it turned out to be a RAT. Being and AB girl, I was NOT familiar, and NOT prepared, and NOT unfazed.

    Perhaps I'll tell that story over at VSL sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, so i would've left at the first mention of something being in my room... the coat incident would seal it for me. did you ask the b & b owner if other patrons have had experiences too? might be something worth researching...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very weird. But I've seen a few weird ghostly type things in my life, so I believe you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH.EM.GEE!!!
    I had a friend who swore a spirit woke her each night tickling her feet...
    I am freaking now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my! I'm afraid I would have had to leave. That sort of thing totally freaks me out, but fascinates me at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

Most times I'll respond back here. Sometimes I"ll answer back via email. Situation depending.